Tuesday, September 23, 2008

No one is above the law... even the President of the Republic!

WYSIWYG! "What you see is what you get" - When I am president, what you see in me the first time I entered Malacanan will be the same things you will get after I get out of the people's building: same shirt, wrist watch, pants and shoes that I wore when I entered it. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course, I'll get be entitled to a monthly presidential salary and benefits - just like an ordinary government employee (This subject will be dicussed later in this blog - but to give you an idea, as president, I will only get what is due me as a public servant: that is, salary and benefits. No other "perks" na hindi naman kailangan! Perks are abused and being used by many of our public officials to corrupt and be corrupt!).I will only carry one (1) ATM card issued by a regular Filipino bank during my term to get my salary. I will have no other bank account inside or outside the Philippines. This bank account is always open to the public to scrutinize 24/7.

I will build a small warehouse beside Malacanan Palace - there to store all items in form of gifts, donations, "lagay", "palangis o padulas", and the many other items given to me by individuals, companies or corporations during my term (cash or in kind). That warehouse shall be opened at the end of my term and the government shall auction all these items and the cash and sales proceeds to be given back to the coffers of the Filipino people.24/7 At Candid Camera!Public and private television cameras shall be installed inside the palace to monitor everything that I do - that is, 24/7, even when I am snoring in my sleep!

This is for the people to see what is going with me and the people around me every second of the day. The people will see what documents or agreements I sign. The people will see and hear what we are talking about during official and non-official meetings. I will even ask these TV channels to follow me everywhere I go (well, except taking a shower and when I am ehermmm.. you know what I am talking about) even to various regions and cities around the country. Perhaps, this reminds you of the movie "TRUMAN" (I'm not endorsing the movie po).So, who will dare corrupt me and the people around me when many TV channels are aimed at us 24-hours a day? Of course, nobody will secretly creeps beside me and whisper something of a corrupt nature because I will immediately remind that person that we are in candid camera!

I hope that the country's senators, governors, mayors and people at various government departments will do the same in the name of transprency and accountability.Philippines Back In The Limelight-Cool Country This TimeI am sure it will not take a month or two, the Philippines will get back on her feet again and be respected by many nations and peoples around the globe. Of course, CNN, CNBC, BBC and various other mainstream media will be in front of me asking questions never before asked from former Philippine presidents.Me as president will never be above the law in any moment of my term. This I will do for six (6) years as leader and public servant.

I know you are already imaginng the consequences of this very simple act of sacrifice to win (again) the hearts of the Filipino people who are responsible for their government. Stupid, yes! But, practical and highly effective!Am I serious? You bet! Because this is the only way where I can bring the government closer to the people and the people to the government. I want the people to trust the government once again, and the government returning the favor to the people specially the poorest.Family, Friends, Relatives Off-LimitSorry, everyone is off-limits including my own family. No friends, relatives, lovers, family members (wife and children) are allowed to inside Malacanan or can come near me for the next six years. This is to avoid political speculators, gossips and rumour adventurers to make sensational stories. Sorry, no former classmates too are allowed to come near me or have a drinking spree with me or the people around me while I am president.Plataporma de Gobyerno: Just Clean ItI have non! I do not make promises.

I will stay as president for six years just to CLEAN the government and let the sconomic factors run naturally. We already have the best laws in the land. We only need to EXECUTE them! When we have a clean government, people are happy. When people are happy, they become creative, bold, enthusiastic, idealistic, resposnsible and very creative! When ocrruption is curtailed, there is money in the coffers. When there is money in the coffers, the teachers, soldiers, policemen, government employees down to the rank-and-file- receive double salaries inclduing 13th, 14th month pay!When these people have double salaries, other people respect them and woul want to join them because they receive more from working with private companies or corporations.

When the private sector sees that government people receive more than what they give to their people, they have no choice but be competitive. So, they increase their wages too otherwise nobody will work for them anymore!Discipline and securityAnd so, when people's purchasing power are increased, the economy starts to move again in real sense! This is very simple economic theory that needs no further explanations. And so, the people, being happy with what they are receiving from their labors start to trust the government again. They start to have dignity in their work. Many will become honest workers because they are happy with their jobs. They start to buy insurance policies and other protections for their loved ones. They improve their health protections too. They start to eat good food and afford to buy extra for their conveniences at home or at a working pace. They start to think of going their own ways such as starting their own small businesses. They start to have savings. Banks, having safe-kept a lot of money from the public, will start to lend money again and compete on the lowest interest rates to the public. People start to respect themselves and see the value of discipline and security.

The money starts to flow, the economy becomes robust, stable and businesses start to flourish. the peso now becomes real stable and confidently uses its strenght to brings down the exchange rate until it finds its real value. Perhaps, US$1 to P1? Who knows? The Singaporean dollar almost equals the US dollar!I know there will be questions regarding this item, but suffice me to make our kababayan in the Philippines be happy for the moment. I'll take care of your questions alter.How can an honest policeman accept bribes when his career is at stake or his reputation tarnished when he is already receiving double salary? How could a teacher care to sell food stuff or other items in the school when he or she is already receiving double salary?

You see, everyone will be surprised to see that instead of having salary deductions on their pay cheques (our teachers have been suffering from this injustice for more than 40 years!), they will they see "salary additions"? Yes, the government can actually turn these deductions into additions or benefits for our public servants when the people's taxes are used properly (this topic is discussed below on "Where To Get The Money To Double The Pay Of Public Servants?").The People Prosper In The Land And There Was No Poor Among ThemYou see, when people with capital start to see that there is money revolving in the economy, they start to trust the market again. They start to put in more investments and others are benefited specially those who are un employed. So Filipinos going abroad will start to rethink of their decisions whether to go abroad or just stay locally - anyway, what the compensation their receive by working locally is just or almost the same as what they will receive overseas.

So, we retain many of our best teachers, engineers, doctors, nurses, drivers and nannies to invest their skills and talents locally. Bottom line? When we have the best brains work locally, the nation is greatly benefited. We can never imagine the impact on the economic cycle just because we have doubled the salary of our public servants!

No comments: